My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Pages (4): 2
Posted: Jan 14, 2010 8:19:03 pm
JK

Got a few bits back from the bodyshop today, I was never keen on the black light surrounds or brake vents so I am pleased with them in white!

I thought I better trial fit my wheels too, I want some lower profile tyres though, not enjoying the 4x4 look!

Posted: Jan 14, 2010 9:47:50 pm
Pete

I agree they look better in white to match the car!  Nice one  :agree:

Wheels look good too.  Seems like you could drop the car a little.  Have you checked the hights to see if its standard?

Posted: Jan 14, 2010 9:51:05 pm
JK

I want to drop it a lot to be honest! I think the front is down as far as it will go, don't know about the rear.

I have been in touch with a guy in America about a coilover conversion kit, just waiting for him to get back to me with definate prices.

Posted: Jan 14, 2010 10:12:12 pm
Pete

Quote: JK at Jan 14, 2010 9:51:05 pm
I want to drop it a lot to be honest! I think the front is dwon as far as it will go, don't know about the rear.

I have been in touch with a guy in America about a coilover conversion kit, just waiting for him to get back to me with definate prices.

Awesome Jay. Coilovers make sucha difference.....Makes it easy for hight adjustment and heneral geometry!

Posted: Jan 16, 2010 6:04:56 pm
JK

Got some new tyres today so got my wheels on

Posted: Jan 16, 2010 6:30:24 pm
Pete

Nice one Jay. They look really nice!  Great choice!

Posted: Jan 31, 2010 7:45:54 pm
JK

Took all the decals off the sill trim too..

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 6:38:59 pm
JK

Well after reading several AP car design threads and not enjoying the rust and paint on my 911 I decided today instead of renewing the tax I would go for a complete rebuild!

This isn't your usual send it to the shop with a blank cheque build, I am far from wealthy so I will be undertaking as much work as possible. I am stripping the shell ready to be sand blasted and primed, I will then be in a position to see whats what and carry out any necessary repairs before it heads to the paint shop. Then it will come back to mine to be put back together.

I will also be upgrading to coilover suspension amongst other bits and pieces!

Spent 3 hours on it today......

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 8:14:17 pm
Pete

awesome jk. this is going to be an interesting thread.

its always good to see someone rolling their sleeves up and getting stuck in.

i guess the bead blast will reveal the true condition of the body. do you want a pure restoration job, or will you be modifying too.

if your going coilover, then make sure you strwnthwn the rear shock towers.

you can also have a wealded front strut brace assembly like the rsr cars.

anything going to happen in the engine department......

ps _ take millions of photos during disssmantle. this will reallyhelp when you put her together again

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 8:24:50 pm
JK

Cheers Pete. It is going to be a bit of both really, restore anything that isn't right and modify anything I can afford to! I think I am going to go for an alloy fuel tank with wing filler delete. I will definatly be strenghtening the rear towers and may well go for the weld in brace.

Not sure if the engine will be modified yet, depends on the work and cost involved in the shell really.

I have been taking loads of photos and bagging/labelling/boxing all the bits removed. Also been tagging the wiring loom as I am going to make a new one with just the essentials on it, oh also going to fit a modern fuse box.

I will keep the pictures coming and the thread updated for anyone interested!

Jay.

Posted: Feb 28, 2010 10:42:27 am
Pete

You definitely got alot done in three hours.  Keep it up and you'll be done in no time.

Can I ask a favour - if you get the time culd you take a few pics of your RS door cards back abd front and post them in the RS door car thread.  Cheers....

RS Door Cards

Posted: Feb 28, 2010 6:17:14 pm
JK

Weather was pretty good today so had another few hours on it today, all interior and glass out, rear end stripped and some of the under bonnet wiring.......

Spare room is starting to look like my garage!

Posted: Mar 03, 2010 8:57:54 am
Pete

You done amazing well is a very short period of time.

Your going t need a bigger house to store everyting.

Are you going to do all the welding repairs yourself or get it done elsewhere.  Personally I think its good if you can go at it yourself, but that's not alwasossible or convenient.

Posted: Mar 03, 2010 12:42:10 pm
MarkJ

Great work there! you have been busy. Liking that smooth matt black paint finish inside (pic1), is that POR-15 or similar or soundproofing paint that you or previous owner has applied ?

Your rear box looks huge in pic 3  !! you want a nice lightweight aftermarket one there.

Is that a fibreglass rear bootlid and wing?
Sprightly 1134kg and falling.

Posted: Mar 03, 2010 7:32:57 pm
JK

Thanks, it does seem to be coming on at a steady pace!

Pete I will be doing all the welding at home and work. I am hoping I will be doing everything other than blasting and paint, should keep the cost down considerably.

Mark I never really noticed but yes the box looks massive!! It has a large hole in aswell so will definately be upgrading that when the time comes. The rear isn't fibreglass unfortunately, It weighs an absolute ton. I am changing the rear to 964 with electric spoiler.

Engine and box comes out Saturday if all goes to plan!

Posted: Mar 03, 2010 10:06:18 pm
Pete

Quote: JK at Mar 03, 2010 7:32:57 pm
Thanks, it does seem to be coming on at a steady pace!

Pete I will be doing all the welding at home and work. I am hoping I will be doing everything other than blasting and paint, should keep the cost down considerably.

Mark I never really noticed but yes the box looks massive!! It has a large hole in aswell so will definately be upgrading that when the time comes. The rear isn't fibreglass unfortunately, It weighs an absolute ton. I am changing the rear to 964 with electric spoiler.

Engine and box comes out Saturday if all goes to plan!

Keep up the good work fella.  By the way, if you get a spare moment, please wiegh a few bits and post in the weights and measures section.  Be nice to build up a database of what everything weighs.

911 Weights and Measures

Posted: Mar 04, 2010 9:42:45 am
MarkJ

Great work ! Am very envious of your spanner skills !

Not sure that 964 rear wing/lid will be any lighter than your current arrangement. A nice solution though, as im guessing that your like me in that you like the look of the flat rear lid but want the wing for downforce when needed. Be interesting to see what it looks like on an older 911 but no reason why it should look out of place as bodyshape hardly changed that much with the 964.
Think i'll end up with an f/g ducktail later on as do love the look of them.

Re weights and measures, just heard my Recaro PP's are ready for shipment :) so will weigh the old heavy seats when i take them out and report on here.
Sprightly 1134kg and falling.

Posted: Mar 06, 2010 5:36:35 pm
JK

Took the 911 to work this morning to continue the strip down....

I found plenty to keep me busy....

Not much left to remove....

This seems to be an ever increasing sight....  :)

Car is back at mine now to have the suspension, wiring loom, gauges and the other few bits removed then its off to the blasters!

Posted: Mar 07, 2010 10:55:39 am
Pete

Whoa.  That's alot of tear done very quickly.  Your lucky to have access to a post lift.  Makes life alot easier.

From those pics you have alot of work to do.  Looks like:

- in and outer sills;
- either new rear quarter or patch;
- Kidney's?????

what else is missing from the photo's......

- lock pillars?

This is going to be an interesting thread, if not an epic journey  :happy013:

btw -  did your car have th heavy rear underseat rubber matting.  I'm trying to find out how muchy it weighs as Im considering taking it out.  If you have it could you weigh it for me.  Cheers.

Posted: Apr 02, 2010 8:04:03 pm
JK

Well progress has been slow lately, work and other commitments have kept me away from the garage! It seems the longer I am without the 911 the more I want to break it for bits to part fund a 964!

Anybody want some 911 parts??

Pages (4): 2

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums