My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Pages (4): 3
Posted: Apr 03, 2010 9:35:33 am

Quote: JK at Apr 02, 2010 8:04:03 pm
Well progress has been slow lately, work and other commitments have kept me away from the garage! It seems the longer I am without the 911 the more I want to break it for bits to part fund a 964!

Anybody want some 911 parts??

I feel for you mate.  It always akes you suicidal when the car is in pieces and the enormity of the road ahead becomes clear.  I do understand your positon though.  I went through the same thing myself.  I ended up sticking with it, but id completely understand if you threw the towel in and went for some halfway done or more modern.

Keep the faith and take your time before making the decision...... :agree: 

Posted: Apr 23, 2010 9:49:04 pm

Well after deciding to keep the 911 I have started work on it again! Bit of a dissapointing start really. For those that don't know my car was originally put together by 911 & Porsche world so I presumed it would have been a no expense spared project, turns out its a complete bodge!

I dug out one of the magazines it featured in and in thier own words " Experience has shown us that its futile to try and repair B pillars so we ordered two new repair panels"

After stripping the car I noticed a crack in the paint on the N/S B pillar so armed only with a screw driver this is what I achieved/found!!!

There is no way on earth those B pillars are 6 years old, unless the previous owner parked it under the sea!

I just got a pair of pattern outer sills from Euro car parts for £84 so I will be ringing them in the morning for a pair of B pillars!!

Posted: Apr 24, 2010 9:55:10 am

Bloody hell !!  You ought to name and shame them on the Porsche forums. Thats a big con to all the readers thinking that those repairs were achievable as easily as they claim when in fact its a complete fake bodge job!
Jeez dont envy the body repairs on that !
Good luck
Sprightly 1134kg and falling.

Posted: Apr 24, 2010 10:20:44 am

Christ, what a rip off job......

They are the oldest looking new panels Ive ever seen......They must have put the old ones back on by mistake.

Eeven though you've got a huge job ahead of you I do think you have made the right decision.  At the end of this journey you will know that you have a 100% straight and solid car.  Even f you went and bought another one, you'd never know what was lurkin underneath.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.  Keep in there    :agree:

Posted: Apr 24, 2010 11:37:49 pm

Yes pretty shoddy really!

I had a fair few hours on the Porsche again today, cut off the o/s outer sill, cleaned off all the dirt and surface rust from under the arches and removed the oil cooler pipes and tank.

Found plenty of smaller repairs to do behind the outer panels

Started to remove the dreaded sound proofing inside

I haven't weighed this lot yet, I will wait until all the sound proofing is off!!

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 8:36:54 am

Your doing well JK.  Nice work.  Im loving the pile of crap!  Thats one way to save weight  :agree:

I like the shot showing the sneaky bottle of bear - you can live on food alone  :happy07:

The floor from the inside doesnt look so bad..... be nice to have a few good panels !

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 7:04:06 pm

Haha yes the Magners was to keep the helpers onboard!

I weighed all the sound proofing, rust and dirt today, 9.4kg!!

Also found some more rust! N/s inner rear quarter had been bodged up with fibreglass and the o/s b pillar is the original. I got the sound proofing off and started to clean up the floor pans with solvent, not a fun job!

Still positive though, enjoying the project and even got a bit of welding done today.

Tried some spare Brembo's on the front, no good though so I will have to save for some Boxster fronts I think..

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 7:04:34 pm

how about a 3.2 engine upgrade while you've got her in pieces

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 7:07:32 pm

Tempting but if I do an engine swap it will be a 3.3 turbo!

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 7:27:18 pm

haha. nice one. how about the RUF CTR1 yellowbird spec engine. 469 bhp  :agree2:

Posted: May 25, 2010 2:02:43 pm

Hows progress.  Any more to share?

Posted: May 29, 2010 4:54:35 pm

Sorry mate, not a lot going on with the 911 at the minute, hopefully get some more welding and prep done over the next month or so. Got a chap from a local bodyshop coming to have a look at it next week, give me some idea of cost for the body/paint work.

I will get some updates and pictures up as soon as I have some!  :)

Posted: Jul 08, 2010 9:32:43 pm

I ordered all my repair panels from today so I should have some updates over the next few weeks.

I bought a 1997 M3 Evo a few weeks ago to keep me amused while the Porsche is being restored but I am really missing the 911 now so want to crack on with it!

Posted: Jul 11, 2010 7:26:59 am

Great news fella.  Glad the project is back.....  So you've gone to the dark side "Watercooled"  :happy07:

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 8:16:56 pm

To be honest I am more of a BMW fan that has defected to the aircooled side!

Panels are all here now, should see some more progress this weekend...

Posted: Jul 16, 2010 7:18:55 am

Nice to see some straight, clean and rust free panels.  Are you going to weld them on yourself?

Where did you get the panels from? 

BTW - there's a thread for showing off your "Other Ride" here:

Whats your other car

Looking forward to seeing the new panels on the car...

Posted: Sep 12, 2010 5:18:01 pm

Bit of an update....

The 911 is now on its wheels again so I can move it in and out the garage, I started welding things up today, got the engine bay sorted.

Should be able to get on with the rest in the evenings this week, fingers crossed!

Degreased and steam cleaned the engine at work yesterday, came up quite well.

Posted: Sep 15, 2010 6:55:27 am

That's looking very good there Jamie.  The engine bay has com out well.  Did you form the repair panel yourself.  Looks a good fit.  Must be nice to have it back as a rolling car !  engine has come up well too. What have you decided on th engine?

Posted: Sep 21, 2010 5:07:07 pm

Your getting there.  Lots of progress.  More shiny metal tsher that runs

Posted: Nov 01, 2010 8:22:32 pm

All the welding will be done, new panels in place. It will need prep, prime, paint and fit up. Needs a pair of front seats, wiper motor doesn't work and the oil pipe from the tank to engine is split.

Pages (4): 3

MyPorsche911  · · Forums