My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Pages (4):1 ...
Posted: May 29, 2010 9:08:06 pm
spenner

Photos to come I promise pete, To introduce mine, its a 1981 targa 3.0 SC in red. I bought it in July last year having seen it on e bay, when I saw it in the metal it wasnt as good as then photo`s but I bought it anyway, mainly due to it having lots of reciepts and despite needing a lot of work and being a bit tatty it was original and a bit cheeper than the rest.
Work done so far,
inside new footwell and transmission carpets, momo stearing wheel, newer electric leather front seats, main beam light/indicator switch, clutch pedal asistance spring (two of us 2 days to fit) replacement heater control unit.
outside, re-covered targa roof, re-sprayed the roll hoop, new door seals, window seals, front wheel bearings, full stainless exhaust inc` heat exchangers and this week replaced the drivers door window regulator mech`(4 hours and lots of swearing) I have also stripped and re-sprayed the engine fan and housing having replaced the belt and shims.

Still to do, solve the non parking front windscreen wipers (new post in electrics) get the wheels re-furbed and have a go at a bit of rust where the scuttle panel meets the front wings.

So its been a busy year :agree2:

Posted: May 30, 2010 10:07:43 am
Pete

Hey Spenner, about time you started your own 911 thread  :agree:

You've been busy, so looking forward to seeing those photo's.

I noticed youve changed the indicator, main beam switch.  They will go time and time again.  Now its all new you need to do a relay upgrade on the main beam, dipped beam circuits.  Save yourself a fortune in the long run.

Posted: May 31, 2010 1:16:20 pm
spenner

Cheers Pete, I beleive there is a thread somewhere to do the relay am I right? I am torn between a relay which is cheep or the headlight conversion HID job, I fancy the HID as it appears it makes a big difference. The HID would improve lighting AND get round the relay, it looks like my decision is already made, just a matter of more research and saving up. I also want the shift conversion as I think the bush on the base of the leaver is tired and one of the springs might have gone, so if its coming apart I might as well improve it.

Craig  ;)  ;)

Posted: May 31, 2010 1:50:12 pm
Pete

Craig - check out this thread by JK on here. 

www.myporsche911.co.uk/upb/viewtopic.php?id=29&t_id=16

JK went down the HID route and he says they went really well.

Posted: Jun 07, 2010 10:20:39 pm
spenner

Cheers Pete, I think HID is the way forward, I hope we see a pic of the instalation for a guide.

:agree: 

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 7:44:22 am
Pete

Right then, whereare these pics Craig.  Got to see your machine!

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 8:35:58 pm
spenner

I took a couple of photos on the wifes digi camera for the insurance renewal, as soon as she has time shes going to put them on.
I got the targa roof recovered last year at a trimmers, but I was never satisfied as the front and rear edges curled back a bit. Despite taking it back several times and promises to re do the job they are alway busy and its" we will give you a ring when we can get it in" so with good weather I took the targa off and stripped the front side in the garden, (now my backs a bit sore and sunburnt) with all the old glue stripped I re glued the front section and stretched the coverwhere it should be, half a week later and looks vastly improved. As soon as I am off on another hot day I will do the rear edge, but prob` leave my tee-shirt on this time.

Posted: Oct 03, 2010 5:51:33 pm
spenner

Due to work and a property investment (on-going total re build of a commercial property and flat)  not much has been done to the old bus, I just dont have enough time or money. I havent been able to keep up on the forum as my computer died as well. However,I am now back in action as a bloke I know has fixed the computer "yet again"
last year the old girl (the car. not my mrs) refused to start one day and I believed it was the fuel pump relay, so it was changed and all was well. Further digging on the tinterweb threw up the fuel pump as a probable cause, one sign apparently is a noisy pump, mine may have been noisy but without one to compare it too I wasnt sure. About a month ago, the old bus refused start, I ran all the usual tests and I decided it was the pump. With the car jacked up I dropped the cover plate/sheild thing and gave the pump a good hiding with a two pound hammer, "hey presto" it fired up straight away.A look on the internet produced eye watering prices for a new pump and with two possible pumps for the car I struggled. After four weeks of searching a found the right part and obtained the part number, then I ordered a pump for £65 from a fuel system supplier not a porsche parts specific company who most wanted around £250 to £330 all in. The new pump fitted perfect, so I changed the rubber fuel line and clips while I was at it. Not wanting to put the scruffy plate/shield thing back on I have had it powder coated. And while at it I have bought some new anti roll bar bushes. I am now just waiting for the rain to stop on a day I might actually get off and fit the bushes and plate/shield thing.

Pete before you say anything about pics the mrs tried and couldnt do it, I have not got a clue!! I need to find someone to do it for me.

Cheers Craig

Posted: Oct 04, 2010 12:43:59 pm
Pete

Nice one craig.  Ouch at the price of the fuel pump, but that should see you solid for a good many years!  The cover plate is a heavy old thing and takes a bashing, so I bet the powder coat looks great! 

Looking forward to seeing those pics.  Im sure someone will help  :agree:

Posted: Oct 04, 2010 6:30:32 pm
spenner

Pete, I couldnt believe the price of pumps either, but then again its a porsche. Still the £65 delivered overnight from a fuel system part firm was better than all the porsche parts firms by a long way. The powder coated sheild looks good, it was a bit uneccesary really,I could have painted it for what it is but I like things to be right when they go back together.I need to get the geometery set up when the new anti roll bar bushes are fitted, I am wearing the insides of both front tyres pretty bad.I replaced both rears a few months ago, the old ones wore evenly its just they were getting down thats all.  I have asked about locally and no one round my way has a clue about setting up a 911, they all say "it wants tracking thats all" If anyone can reccomend someone travelling from a TS postcode I would be gratefull.

:happy01:

Posted: Oct 04, 2010 6:51:18 pm
Pete

It doesnt matter if its a necessity - it's just gotta be done.  Here's wat I did to mine:

I got the geometry all set properly on mine and it makes the world of difference.  "Needs Tracking" - what a laugh.  Some people.  It probably could do with a complete corner weight and balance and alignment.  Worth every penny.

I had mine done by Gwyn on tis forum.  Here's the results:

First up the total weight if the car:

I was surprised at the weight of the car at 1205.5kg.  I thought it would be slightly lighter than that.  It had about 26 litres of fuel which weighs in at about 19.6kg.  No surprises on the front and rear weight distribution at about 60/40 which is correct for a 911.

Then there was the corner weights and balancing.  This is the most important of the total package of work.  It is probable accountable for about 75% of the overal perfromance gains to be had from everything in the alignment and balancing department.  So getting it right here is key.  Here are the results:

The final split in weights and difference accross the axles looks good and Im pleased with the results.  The spliyt accross the rear was improved from c. 4% difference to just 1.8%

The diagonal cross weights are now veery impressive:

The delta has moved from 4.6% to just 0.2%. Personally I think this is pretty amazing and tells me the car is very balanced.

The castor results showed no adjustment was necessary:

The camber results were as follows:

The front camber didnt need adjusting.  A camber of 1 degree neg on each of the front wheels is a good setting for fast road.  If the car was a track warrior then Id be looking for as much as I could get, perhaps 1.5 or even 2 degrees of neg.

I was trying to get 1.25 degrees neg camber on the rear, but it proved difficult to achoeve as the cam on the spring plate run out of movement.  But the difference is small and neither here nor there and Im happy with the final result.

Now we come to Toe.  This took a long time to get right.  The RSR spring plates made life easier in this department, but it still took a few iterations.  Here's the results:

While the fron wheels had an equal 0.5mm of toe in which is perfect, the rears seem to be pointing in different directions.  The difference game me a thrust angle of 5.5mm.  Not good!

However, the results were great.  After alot of iterations of adjustment and measurement, the rear toes is now an equal 1mm for each rear wheel.  More imnportantly the thrust angle is now 0mm and gone from thr equation.

Driving home after the day of setting up was pretty amazing.  The car is much steadier on the road and very stable at high speed.  The corner weights have also inmproved the braking performance and she brakes steady and even under hard braking.

All in all a good thing to have done.

Posted: Oct 05, 2010 7:40:57 pm
spenner

I like the plate, looks like alloy? if it is there will be a big weight difference. How much did that set you back? As for getting my steering set up, I am on the hunt for someone reliable, within tavelling distance and knows 911`s. :)

Posted: Oct 05, 2010 7:41:10 pm
spenner

I like the plate, looks like alloy? if it is there will be a big weight difference. How much did that set you back? As for getting my steering set up, I am on the hunt for someone reliable, within tavelling distance and knows 911`s. :)

Posted: Nov 14, 2010 8:33:36 pm
spenner

I have been plodding away with the old bus over the past few months, as per the "wiper post" I have replaced the wiper relay and found it made no difference to the parking of the wipers. So I now have two spare wiper relays, but it does mean I now know that I need a wiper motor!!
Another task was front anti roll bar bushes, when I replaced the fuel pump the other month I noticed the bushes were oval. yesterday I stripped the anti roll bar, sprayed the bar and brackets before replacing it with new bushes. To finish off, I fitted the powder coated tray thing covering the pump. Looks lovely.
I am desperate for a cheap wiper motor now, if anyone spots one while hunting about please send me a message, I will be real grateful.
So ups and downs in all, fixed anti roll bar but poorly wipers still. Also reccomendations please for someone in the North East who can be trusted to set up my steering, the front tyres are about knacked on the insides, shame as they are almost new.

P.S got your msg Pete about the wiper motor motor on e bay, by the time I read my e mail it was sold, gutted mate cos it went for £14.50. hope the lucky winner needed it as much as me. Thanks for looking out for me mate. :agree2:

Posted: May 03, 2011 8:50:26 pm
spenner

well, since my last post not much has changed. Which in a way is good because it means we are still going well really. I still use the old bus for work every day and have started giving it a weekly wash now spring had finally arrived at last. Keeping an eye on the blistering under the drivers headlight has revealed it has  proggressed a bit in the two years I have had it, although not bad I dont want things to get out of hand and I cant afford to be without a car while working on the wing, sooooo after umpten months of ebaying I have finally bought a replacement wing, one small dent and a tiny bit of surface rust on one edge. The plan is fettle and paint the wing then swap them over on my days off (prob next year at my rate of progress) The down side has been the wing is in Burnham on sea!! its took two weeks to get the sellers address  and a weight for delivery, today I sorted delivery paid up front and tonight found an email stating they attended the address for collection but no sender. AGHHH!! Update to follow  (wallbash)

Posted: May 04, 2011 8:32:01 am
Pete

Quote: spenner at May 03, 2011 8:50:26 pm
well, since my last post not much has changed. Which in a way is good because it means we are still going well really. I still use the old bus for work every day and have started giving it a weekly wash now spring had finally arrived at last. Keeping an eye on the blistering under the drivers headlight has revealed it has  proggressed a bit in the two years I have had it, although not bad I dont want things to get out of hand and I cant afford to be without a car while working on the wing, sooooo after umpten months of ebaying I have finally bought a replacement wing, one small dent and a tiny bit of surface rust on one edge. The plan is fettle and paint the wing then swap them over on my days off (prob next year at my rate of progress) The down side has been the wing is in Burnham on sea!! its took two weeks to get the sellers address  and a weight for delivery, today I sorted delivery paid up front and tonight found an email stating they attended the address for collection but no sender. AGHHH!! Update to follow  (wallbash)

Ah mate, that's terrible.  I hope you didnt pay too much for the invisible wing.  Have you reported it to ebay, paypal and the police?  I really feel for you.

Posted: May 14, 2011 7:10:50 pm
spenner

(M) Well after a lot of hassle (very long story) the wing turned up :) However after £150 plus delivery £17 I am not happy, described as structural sound with a small dent and minor blemish to one edge. The description must have been written by stevie wonder! The dent was shown on the photograph and was fine, the minor damage was the visible top edge of bottom flange rot, there was damage to other flanges and rust galore. (M) I cant go back to e bay as I bought it outside e bay, I was given a second chance and offered less than what it went for. I feel I have been scammed, either a "friend" drove the bids then dropped out or the real purchaser saw how bad it was and got a refund. So I now have a lengthy wing refurb to tackle, after £150 I cant leave it. But I did get a good boot lid with a turbo "tea tray" spoiler which is now fitted.  :) So I have a decent boot lid, whale tale spoiler in good nick and a refurbed heat exchanger to sell.

Posted: May 15, 2011 10:38:56 am
Pete

Quote: spenner at May 14, 2011 7:10:50 pm
(M) Well after a lot of hassle (very long story) the wing turned up :) However after £150 plus delivery £17 I am not happy, described as structural sound with a small dent and minor blemish to one edge. The description must have been written by stevie wonder! The dent was shown on the photograph and was fine, the minor damage was the visible top edge of bottom flange rot, there was damage to other flanges and rust galore. (M) I cant go back to e bay as I bought it outside e bay, I was given a second chance and offered less than what it went for. I feel I have been scammed, either a "friend" drove the bids then dropped out or the real purchaser saw how bad it was and got a refund. So I now have a lengthy wing refurb to tackle, after £150 I cant leave it. But I did get a good boot lid with a turbo "tea tray" spoiler which is now fitted.  :) So I have a decent boot lid, whale tale spoiler in good nick and a refurbed heat exchanger to sell.

What a load of hassle.  They are some right horrible gits out there ready to scam the honest, hard working Porsche enthusiast.

Get those spares advertised on www.stuttgartexchange.com

Posted: May 19, 2011 2:47:44 pm
spenner

i know Pete, mention the word porsche and people think they can charge what they want for crap.Maybe we are the minority mate, but when I sold some bits last year I described them exactly as they were, both buyers were over the moon with the bits and thought I had played the bits down in the description. I just say it as it is mate, I hate lying conning bast**ds. (still not happy about me wing, not that you can tell  (M) )
On another front, a job I have put off for nearly two years has been done too. The three fuse, fusebox in the engine bay for the engine blower fan has at last been swapped for a modern blade type fusebox :) I dont know if its a common problem but the wiring to a couple of my fuses were toasted by the heat probably, they had gone brittle and come away from the screw contacts which were siezed. A temporary fix entailed cutting teh wires and crimping in inline fuse holders, not very good or pretty a good job they were behind a cover. I have now replaced the fusebox with a nice modern one and soldered new conectors, hour and half later job done  :) a bit fiddly but well worth it as the blower would often go off and the contacts needed a waggle.

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 8:21:19 pm
spenner

:D Been a while since my last post and I have tried squeezing a bit of porschery into my busy timetable. in readiness for this years MOT I thought I would re build the front calipers, two seal kits from type 911 at only £10 each were bought. With the calipers off one was pretty seized so the lad who does my MOT`S stripped em, blasted and powder coated em and fitted the pistons/seals then dropped em off at my house, £30. well happy. the powder coats not perfect but I`m not complaining at the price including strip, rebuild and dropped off at home. I fitted some red stuff pads from type 911 as well. 180 miles later and the brakes are bedding in, the difference is unreal. Even if it took three of us two days to bleed the bl**dy things

Thanks to the recommendation on my steering geometry thread of redline racing, I took the car down earlier this week and they had a quick look, but the front tyres were that bad they couldnt set it up until the tryes were replaced at the front. I did find out its been lowered by about 20mm though and that coupled with the way way way out camber would explain the bump steer. So yesterday two new front tyres were fitted and its booked into redline for next wednesday, although not cheap at just over £200 to get fully set up, if it transfoms the steering and handling it will be worth it, especially when its gone through two brand new tyres in 4000 miles. The insides were bald and the outsides totally untouched.
Their set up looks professional so fingers crossed and they are literally 15/20 mins away.
Oh and a bit of indulgence too, I bought a boot lid with turbo spoiler, so thats fitted now. It really changes the look at the back and side. disdain023.gif 

Pages (4):1 ...

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums