My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Pages (4): 2
Posted: Jul 16, 2011 10:11:45 am
Dil1232

Hi nice car, I got mine off ebay 4yrs ago for a steal, I paid £9k for her spent alittlle money on a b post repair otherwise the car was tidy, I have spent more on her since but thats purly upgrades such as s/s exhaust,
goes to show there are some bargins and good finds, hope you enjoy the car

I love mine :agree2:

Posted: Jul 16, 2011 2:15:54 pm
spenner

Cheers mate, I do enjoy it and mine too was via ebay 2 years ago this week. I paid £7900 for it but I have likely spent half as much again since. Seats, carpets,targa re-cover,stainless exhaust and so on. The biggest single expense was the full stainless exhaust at £1500. I bought it even though I knew it needed work because fundamentally it was sound but a bit tatty and nothing was hidden so I knew what I was getting. Also there was a lot of receipts showing what had been done, including engine work not that many miles before.  I must be quite attached to it because two years with a car is good going for me and I am still planning the next stages. :) 

Posted: Jul 16, 2011 3:07:01 pm
Pete

I think for between £7k and £9k it's alot of car for money.  I know some parts can be expensive and I know there are a few rip-off mechanics out there.  But, these old 911's can be quite economical to run and delivery a lot of smiles per mile..... :agree:

Posted: Jul 23, 2011 9:48:54 pm
spenner

That sort of money can can get you a very good modern motor, but I agree, with care they can be ok to run especially if you can get stuck in yourself. I have had a lot of cars over the years but I have never driven one that has evoked so much interest as this old 911. Most places you go and people you see want to talk about them as long as you ignore the jealous ones.  And at last I have now had the geometry done and my replacement wiper motors here.  :)  :)

Posted: Dec 14, 2011 9:53:33 pm
spenner

Since the last entry I havn`t really done much the old bus, but I have just tackled the drivers door card refurb. Having removed the door bin last year as it was falling apart, over the past year I have tolerated a tatty, flapping door card. well this weekend I stripped it down and made a new backing board including new foam and managed to re fit it in the horrendous rain yesterday. The old backing board bottom few inches had literally rotted away and it was just the vinyl cover keeping it together.
With the warped and split door bin, I screwed it to some wooden formers made from old bits of wood and fiber glassed it, with the carpet back on it looks pretty good. I just need to wait another week when I next have a day off to fit the door bin and it will be job done, a lot of graft but done on a shoe string. The fibre glass kit cost £12, spray glue £3 (but I did use it to make a stable for the littles ones nativity model too) panel clips and staples about £3. Plus I snapped the little rod  for the internal door handle, a securing peg from the light up reindeer in the front garden provided a perfect piece of rod in which I made a new door rod.
:)

Posted: Dec 15, 2011 4:59:18 pm
hukent

Blue Peter badge for you mate.................... :agree:
Hu.

HAPPINESS IS KNOWING YOU'RE WELSH.

Posted: Dec 16, 2011 10:19:26 pm
Pete

Nice one mate. And cheap too!  Let's some pics of the process! 

Posted: Dec 17, 2011 9:10:45 pm
spenner

Cheers fellas,

here is the best bit, the panel backing board came off the packaging from a fridge freezer I bought earlier in the year and the foam was off some other packing too. :)

Both a hoarder and a tight wad  (rofl)

Posted: Dec 18, 2011 11:01:24 am
Pete

Quote: spenner at Dec 17, 2011 9:10:45 pm
Cheers fellas,

here is the best bit, the panel backing board came off the packaging from a fridge freezer I bought earlier in the year and the foam was off some other packing too. :)

Both a hoarder and a tight wad  (rofl)

Great Stuff fella. 

Posted: Apr 18, 2012 8:53:30 pm
spenner

The latest update for the old bus; as per transmission post the short shift kit is fitted  :D but strangely the speedo has suddenly gone intermittent  (confused) I took the wife to hospital yesterday and the speedo worked fine as normal  :) on setting off home it would not work  (confused) on picking the wife back up it worked again  :) then went to pick the kids up and it stopped once more  (confused) used the car yesterday and guess what? it worked fine again  (confused)

The ungrateful old s*d (car not wife)  :happy07: fix one thing then its something else, oh and the clutch is looking tired, it slipped yesterday  on accelerating onto a duel carriageway slip road.

Wifie said "its time you got rid of it, its costing a fortune and if its not one thing its another with it" she never did forgive me for selling the hyundai coupe to pay for the 911 exhaust  :happy07: 

Posted: May 17, 2012 8:31:20 am
spenner

Speedo problem located, the ignition switch! I found by accident when the speedo did not work, turn the ignition key very slightly left and the speedo works.

I must admit it was a pure accident but worth remembering for future problems, I guess a new switch will be needed in the near future (or in my case usually about 2 years time) I believe they are a common fault, is this right? and if so how hard are they to change?

:)

Posted: May 18, 2012 11:57:25 am
hukent

Yes it's a common fault, but easy job to change.
Hu.

HAPPINESS IS KNOWING YOU'RE WELSH.

Posted: May 25, 2012 8:18:02 am
Pete

Wow.  I never new that could cause a speedo problem. They are easy to change though as Hu says. 

Posted: May 28, 2012 7:42:53 pm
Dil1232

Hi Craig , my speedo problem was the contection by the gear linkage, i think were the linkage goes back and forth it has got caught up and loosened the conection,

Hows the short shift any good , i was thinking of getting one but as i have never seen one in action was a bit unsure.

Hey with all your talents (blue peter) you didnt make that earlier lol 
(rofl)

Posted: May 28, 2012 9:05:59 pm
spenner

Hi mate, I like the blue peter bit, it did make me smile  :D. Unfortunately I didnt make the short shift kit but bought it.(I would have though if I could have I promise. and it would have been out of an old washing machine part or something)
I cant recommend the short shift kit highly enough, what a difference to the reach of the lever, its more like a "normal" car instead of reaching out ofthe seat when changing forward or taking out the passengers leg when changing backwards  :happy07: I would rate it as one of the must do upgrades, i particularly liked the oem kit as it doesn't look any different inside the car, the only thing to remember is to buy the bush kit for the bottom of the lever as the kit doesn't come with it.

:agree:

Posted: May 29, 2012 6:47:00 pm
Dil1232

Ok great, I will start looking to see who sells them,
thank again

Posted: Jun 01, 2012 2:20:54 pm
Pete

Quote: spenner at May 28, 2012 9:05:59 pm
Hi mate, I like the blue peter bit, it did make me smile  :D. Unfortunately I didnt make the short shift kit but bought it.(I would have though if I could have I promise. and it would have been out of an old washing machine part or something)
I cant recommend the short shift kit highly enough, what a difference to the reach of the lever, its more like a "normal" car instead of reaching out ofthe seat when changing forward or taking out the passengers leg when changing backwards  :happy07: I would rate it as one of the must do upgrades, i particularly liked the oem kit as it doesn't look any different inside the car, the only thing to remember is to buy the bush kit for the bottom of the lever as the kit doesn't come with it.

Did you take pics of the short shift kit while you were installing it.  Be nice to see.

Posted: Jun 15, 2012 2:31:44 pm
spenner

Hello Pete, sadly no pics I am afraid, I was concentrating on getting all the bits off the kitchen floor and back into the car  :happy07:

Posted: Nov 07, 2012 1:28:45 pm
spenner

Another summer gone by, if we can call it a summer!

The car has been used very little the past 6 months but I noticed the clutch becoming worse each time I used it, crunching gears and slipping making driving unpleasant to say the least.

Working through the 101 things book, I took a look at the clutch operating arm/helper spring set up. We found the backlash spring rotten and it snapped when wire brushing, the whole arm unit was seized solid. Fearing the worst I thought I had nothing to lose so spent 4 days with release spray and two levers working the mechanism free. Eventually I bit the bullet, stripped it and bought a new clutch cable, backlash spring, helper spring and seals at about £170 its no wonder I put off jobs with the car. An afternoon later my mate and I had it back together and set up, the difference is unreal it actually changes gear with no crunch and no slipping.

Guess the clutch was ok just the mechanism seized. Cant recommend the  101 projects book highly enough, its just saved me a engine and gearbox out job not to mention the cost of replacing the clutch.

If anyone wants to improve their gear change I would strongly advise reading this book and stripping the arm mechanism.

Another job done, think I will have a look at the list and see what I can put off for another year    ;)

Posted: Nov 20, 2012 9:36:05 pm
Pete

Great Work Fella!  I agree the 101 book is worth the money!

Pages (4): 2

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums