My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 9:07:59 pm
Pete

The Poprsche 962 is a real monster: 3.0 lite engine, 700 plus BHP and 215 mph.  Post your pics of the 962 here:

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 4:33:12 pm
Wildsie

Here's a picture of the 962 that I won the 2008 Group C Enduro Trophy with the owner Henry Pearman.

We had seven races 2 at Spa 1 at Le Mans 2 at the Silverstone Classic and 2 at Donington.

An awesome car to race I also drove the ex works 1988 Le Mans Shell Dunlop 962 at Snetterton and Silverstone...that was very special!!

I am a lucky chap!!!  :)
www.mikewilds.com

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 5:14:26 pm
Pete

Wow yes you are a lucky chap indeed.  I think the saying goes "i'd give my right arm" for a drive like that. 

I'm sure you deserved every mile of it Mike.  I take it thats you behind the wheel in your signature yellow helmet?

Tell us a bit more about what its like to drive a monster of a Porsche like the 962.

Posted: Feb 24, 2009 11:02:52 am
Wildsie

Yes Pete that's me in both pictures...I really am lucky!!!

As soon as you open the door of the 962 you know something special is just about to happen!!

Climb over the edge of the monocoque and slide down into the most comfortable race seat you can imagine. The seat is adjustable to get the pedal length right and the steering column is also adjustable.

The instrument panel is typically Porsche dominated by a large rev counter just like my 911 it just goes to a higher max rpm!

The cockpit is very cosy and just about big enough to fit two people in discomfort.

Lots of switches and dials give the driver all the information he could possibly need plus there is an ignition key very unusual in a race car!!

Turn on the Master Switch and then the ignition and your ears are filled with the sound of electric fuel pumps whirring.
When you turn the ignition key the engine bursts into life but then it will just sit there on tick over just like a docile 911!

Push the clutch pedal down quite hard due to the competition clutch and engage first gear with the lever mounted on top of the monocoque on the right hand side of the cockpit. The gear slides in easily due to the synchromesh gearbox another unusual feature not associated with race cars they are usually 'dog boxes'.

As you drive easily out of the pit lane the car feels very docile with a heavy feel to the steering it has no power steering and have you seen the width of the front tyres on 962's!!

As you start to accelerate the engine just pulls and pulls all the way to the 8000rpm rev limit change up another gear and that wonderful acceleration just keeps pushing you in the back as you go through all the gears and head for the max speed of around 230mph.

The 962 has such a good aero and ground effect package that it initially is very difficult to get your head round just how fast you can enter fast corners the faster you go the better grip level you get...to a point!

In slow corners the 962 has an initial under steer but care has to be taken as you apply the power you listen for the two turbo's to start to spool up then you know you have to be ready to apply some opposite lock if those two huge rear tyres happen to break traction!!!

The brakes are fantastic..not carbon but huge cast iron brake discs that if your belts aren't tight enough will lift you out of the seat!!

If you ever get the chance to drive one work on your neck muscles because the lateral 'G' these awesome cars generate will make it ache for sure...I've been racing for years and it still makes my neck sore after driving one for an hour or so!!

Sorry to ramble on but hope it's given you a little insight into driving one of the Worlds best ever Sports Prototype race cars...........................    :)

www.mikewilds.com

Posted: Feb 24, 2009 2:52:03 pm
Pete

Thanks Mike.  Thats definitely not a ramble in my book and if it is then its a great one.

I absolutely love those Prototype Porsche.  The 962 is awesome as is the 917.  I'd love a PAX lap or even better a drive in either.

Thanks for the description of what they are like to drive.  Most of us will never know so its great to hear it first hand from someone that has done quite a few hours in one and at some fantastic circuits.

Here's what one sounds like:

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums