My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 9:18:25 pm
JK

As per title really, anyone using HID headlights? I am getting a bit annoyed with the dismal yellowish headlights!

Any advice/experience etc?

Thanks all.

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 10:50:52 pm
Pete

Hi Mate

You can do a HID conversion and there are plenty of kits out there for £150 ish.  HID is great in terms of the amount of light output, but the problem with fitting them on an earlier 911 is that the lenses are directional and for some reason has the effect of lighting up the whole road including the eyes of oncomming drivers.

You could consider doing what I did and free up current flow to the headlights by fitting dedicated relays.  Here's what I did:

Headlight relay upgrade

Here's the wiring diagram I put together for the relay upgrade:

early 911 relay wiring diagram

You can also fit LED's for the side lights.  See here:

LED upgrade

Posted: Aug 25, 2009 7:00:08 pm
JK

Thanks for that Pete, so would you advise against HID then? I have found a 911 kit on the net for £69.99, which is about as much as I want to spend right at the minute. I would love to do the full LED upgrade you mentioned but don't really have the time.

I am going to Ireland next month so would love to be able to see where I a going!

Posted: Aug 25, 2009 7:14:01 pm
Pete

A HID kit will definitely light up the road.  I dont have anything against them at all. I personally like HID, but my thought is that the lense may not be able to direct the beam as it would a normal tungsten bulb.  Ive never seen one done in the flesh so I could be very wrong. 

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.  It maye take me down that route too . . . . :cool:   

Posted: Aug 25, 2009 7:43:50 pm
JK

After a quick search on "another" site I have found a few people using them on early 911 and 964. I am going to order a set tomorrow so I will keep you updated and get some pictures whilst I am fitting the kit.

Cheers Pete.

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 3:49:42 pm
Pete

Quote: JK at Aug 25, 2009 7:43:50 pm
After a quick search on "another" site I have found a few people using them on early 911 and 964. I am going to order a set tomorrow so I will keep you updated and get some pictures whilst I am fitting the kit.

Cheers Pete.

Sorry we couldnt help you out here.  Look forward to seeing the results though!  :agree:

Posted: Oct 29, 2009 10:36:40 pm
JK

Finally got my Hid kit sorted, fitted it myself but over looked a couple of same colour side light wires and an incorrectly rated fuse, switched the kit one, melted the side light wiring loom! £230 auto electrition bill later lesson learned! Thats a grand total of £310 for my Hids.

Moral of the story, be very careful working with old/non original wiring and always make sure the correct ampage fuse is fitted!

Despite the obvious headache they were worth it, so much better than the originals. I can actually drive at a decent pace after dark now!  :D

Posted: Oct 30, 2009 11:42:01 am
Pete

Ouch!  That sounds painful. 

Great job though.  I'd be keen to see some pics of the installation and maybe an after dark photo to see how bright they are.

Where did you get the kit from, who makes it, and how much was it - £80???

Posted: Oct 30, 2009 8:26:08 pm
JK

I will get some pictures up over the weekend Pete.

The kit was a generic H4 one from ebay, poorly written instructions but well made and solid looking parts. Yes mate, £80 delivered! Some of the kits listed as a direct fit for 911's were upto 3 times the cost and exactly the same!

Posted: Nov 21, 2009 2:30:34 pm
Pete

Any pictures JK.  Am looking forward to seeing the difference.  Ive been considering doing a HID conversion on mine for some time.

Posted: Jan 02, 2010 9:58:36 pm
JK

Better late than never!! This is the only picture I have after the HID kit was fitted.

I will get some better pictures up tomorrow.

I really can't reccomend HID's enough, the difference is unreal, late night B road driving is now something I look forward to rather than avoid! The light is bright and clean, far superior to the yellowy candle like glow they replaced.

Posted: Jan 03, 2010 2:17:03 pm
Pete

They look great Jay. 

The photo has definitely convinced me that I need a HID conversion!  Just a couple of questions:

(1) Is there a delay when you switch from low beam to high beam, Ive read somewhere that some kits have a delay due to the design....

(2) Is the HID light beam focussed/directed to the left or does is scatter?

(3) any pics of the ballast boxes installed in the front?

Great work!

Posted: Jan 04, 2010 7:56:36 pm
JK

Pete, I will get some more pictures of the install up at the weekend.

The light beam is perfectly focused and where is should be, and there is no delay between hi/low beam, the switch is instant.

Posted: Jan 04, 2010 7:58:52 pm
Pete

Quote: JK at Jan 04, 2010 7:56:36 pm
Pete, I will get some more pictures of the install up at the weekend.

The light beam is perfectly focused and where is should be, and there is no delay between hi/low beam, the switch is instant.

That does it for me then mate, I need to get it done.  It would be nice to see where Im going at night!!

Who on ebay did you get them from Jay?

Posted: Jan 04, 2010 8:10:10 pm
JK

Only other picture I have at the minute, its hard to get the idea from a picture but they are good. I will get a night video up at the weekend if I remember!

I think the ebay seller was cms_sales

Posted: Jan 06, 2010 6:38:59 pm
Pete

I've these guys who seem to be popular: HIDS 4U

Posted: Jan 23, 2010 11:15:21 am
JK

One thing worth mentioning Pete, you have to cut a hole in the back of the headlight bowl as the bulb kit needs a bit more depth. I am welding on an additional cup to the back of the bowl to stop all the unwated road dirt getting into the light.

Sorry I didn't mention that before, completly slipped my mind.

Posted: Jan 23, 2010 4:29:24 pm
Pete

Thanks mate.

Fo you have any pics of the balasts, wiring and back of bowl mods to share?

Cheers

Posted: Jan 23, 2010 4:35:32 pm
JK

I don't have any pictures of the bowl mod as mine just has a hole in the back at the moment, I will get some pictures of the ballast and wiring up soon though.

Posted: Jun 08, 2010 6:34:25 am
Pete

Hi Mate - did you ever get any pictures of the wiring installation, or is it too late now with the rebuild going on?

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums