My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Posted: Jan 03, 2010 6:10:35 pm
spenner

I would appreciate some advice and assistance with this one folks, I have bought a pair of leather electric front seats for my 1981 SC, to replace my tired non electric seats. The thing is I tried deciphering the wiring diagram but its the hardest I have ever seen. My car has never had electric seats but I would like to fit these since I have bought them, they did come with the plug in connector that fits to the seat, I suppose from the harness to seat in a car already equiped to use them. How or where do I connect them to on a car that never had them?
Cheers Craig :agree2:

Posted: Jan 03, 2010 6:58:36 pm
Pete

Hi Craig -

Which seats did you get?

In general the electric seat wiring should be fairly simple.  All each seat needs is a positive and negative supply.  The switch on the side of the seats will invert the supply for backwards and forwards as appropriate.

Have you got a picture of the connector/wiring comming from one of the seats?

If you need a wiring diagram for an SC, there you can find them in the Specs and Diagrams section of the forum, here:

Porsche 911 SC Wiring diagrams

Cheers

Posted: Jan 03, 2010 7:46:12 pm
spenner

Hi Pete, as far as I know the seats are from an SC but a later model than mine (mines 1981) they are black leather with red piping around the outside. I found them on douglas valleys web site and took the plunge after losing out on loads on E Bay. I have just checked the underside of the seats and there is the connector plug with two red wires and two black wires in pairs going to different sides of the seat somewhere. The connector bit that came with them to connect the seat to car has a male multi plug one end with four pins and a female end that fits to the seat connector. looking at the cable between the connector plugs there are three wires 1st red 2nd black 3rd brown. A sticker on the  the cable is dated 20/10/1988 and also says porsche 964,612,22??01-1/0, presumably this is a part number and means the seats are from a 964 model of carafter 1988? I had hoped there would be just a black and a red for power and earth, "three" wires has confused me.

Posted: Jan 03, 2010 8:52:52 pm
Dirty Fuchs

Hi Spenner - welcome.
If I recall right, I think the third wire is for the heated elements and the two large wires are as Pete says the main live and earth return - operations by the switches.
Generally though, browns are the earths - check with guage.
Regards

Dirty Fuchs. :agree:
You only live once so enjoy it.

Posted: Jan 03, 2010 8:59:45 pm
Pete

Quote: Dirty Fuchs at Jan 03, 2010 8:52:52 pm
Hi Spenner - welcome.
If I recall right, I think the third wire is for the heated elements and the two large wires are as Pete says the main live and earth return - operations by the switches.
Generally though, browns are the earths - check with guage.
Regards

Dirty Fuchs. :agree:

Kev is right, the third wire is very likely to be the supply to the heater element!

Posted: Jan 04, 2010 7:55:34 pm
spenner

So it looks like the seats I have bought are heated as well electric adjustment then. I guess I just need a positive and negative supply for the power adjustments, but now I dont know how to connect the heated bit? I have had a look at the connector cable and the red and brown wires are slightly thicker than the black, so do we think the red is + and the brown -, for the adjustment.If so the black must be for + heating power? but what about an earth? also on models with heated seats where is the switch so I can try to get one and fit it like it should be? Sorry about the questions I am starting to wish I had just got the originals recovered now.
Cheers fellas
Craig

Posted: Jan 04, 2010 8:06:36 pm
Pete

Yes Craig, I would say

Red = +12
Brown = Earth
Black = +12v

Have a look at the undernieth of the seat and double check which wires go where.  Im guessing you'll see which pair go to the motor.

Im not sure where the heated seat switch is on an SC.  Is it not on the side of the seat itself.  Failing that, you'll have to put a switch into te circuit.

Posted: Jan 04, 2010 8:22:57 pm
spenner

Just flipped the seats over and had a good look underneath, where the connector attaches to the seat it splits off to TWO red wires and TWO brown wires (no sight of any black one) these FOUR wires are then wrapped in black plastic sheathing and dissapear behind the front raise/lower part, coming out of the sheathing near to each motor they pair off to TWO smaller wires a purple and another which connect to the motors themselves. Also there are no heating switches on the seats, on the outside of each seat base are two switches one indicating four way adjustment and the other indicating two way adjustment. Just out of curiosity what fuse rating should I put in the power supply and where is best to link in for the power?
Cheers Craig

Posted: Jan 04, 2010 8:59:05 pm
Pete

This is sounding tricky.  I still think the wiring colours above are likely to be correct.

In terms of fuse rating, I'd measure the current using an inline meter.  Sit in the sit to put a load on it and then switch the seat on and see what the current is.  Then go slightlt above with the fuse rating.

I'll see if I can find out where the SC heating switch is locted normally.

Are you 100% sure the seats are heated models?

Cheers
Pete

Posted: Jan 05, 2010 7:27:52 pm
spenner

Hi Pete, I am not sure the seats are heated, its just dirty fuchs said he thought the third wire (the black) was for heating therefore leading all three of us to thinking the red is + power and the brown -. If you can find out where the heated seat switch would be on a model originally fitted with them that would be great, also where do you suggest I take the power supply from? In 25 years of riding motorbikes and driving cars I have lost count the variety of wiring I have dealt with, but the 911 has the worst I have ever worked with, hence why the help from yourself and the forum members is invaluable, I dont want to botch it and end up damaging my new seats or worse still setting the car alight.
Cheers Craig  :agree:

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums