My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Posted: Mar 26, 2010 8:00:40 pm
plym911

Just got back from a run out in my 1979 911sc and the electric windows just stopped working, both sides have been a little slow and juddery but all of a sudden they've stopped working, I've checked the switches and fuses and seem okay.
I closed the windows by providing power to the respective green and black wires off the switches and a little hand power.

Anyone have any advice ??
(confused)

Posted: Mar 26, 2010 8:04:54 pm
hukent

Motors?
Hu.

HAPPINESS IS KNOWING YOU'RE WELSH.

Posted: Mar 26, 2010 8:20:59 pm
Pete

It seems strange that both have stopped working at the same time.  It could be the motors, but it might be a single switch causing problems.  The drivers door switch provides power to the passenger side, so check that.

Another thing to check is the earth connections.  There is a terminal block at the bottom of the door inside the door pannel that can get corroded.  Take all the connectors off (one at a time), clean them and put them back. 

I think this is going be a continuity problem IMHO.  Its the cheapest place to start anyway.  Good luck.  Let us know how you get on!

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 4:01:10 pm
MarkJ

dont the contacts on the backs of the switches corrode/fuzz up too? Have read that many times. Take the switches off and clean the back of them.
Sprightly 1134kg and falling.

Posted: Mar 31, 2010 8:28:58 pm
plym911

Hi,
Thanks for the advice I'll let you know how I get on.
The motors are okay because I supplied direct power to them via the green and black wires to get the windiws closed.

Thanks guys

Posted: Mar 31, 2010 9:11:01 pm
Pete

Good luck Plym -

Its either the switch, or switch wires or the earth block then.  Lets us know how it goes and good luck.

Posted: May 29, 2010 3:49:11 pm
plym911

Took a long time to reply......work..........volcanic ash.........finally got to the windows, and after cleaning, fiddling and testing got my answer it was the relay, a real doh! because after checking the fuse the relay was logically the next step, not that all the work was wasted, because both windows are working great now far smoother than they were before.

Posted: Aug 25, 2010 7:45:48 am
Pete

Great Stuf Plym - its always nice when its something simpl :agree: e, and relatively cheap to fix

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums