My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Pages (2):1
Posted: May 29, 2010 5:58:07 pm
spenner

This year has seen me tackling my list of "to do jobs" but one that I just cant cure is the windsreen wipers not parking where they should. I always have to turn them off in the "park" position or they will stop wherever you turn them off, if you know what I mean.Also the intermittent switch doesnt work.
Anyway, I checked the wiper motor and it seams ok, I tested the intermittent switch ans shes all powered up, I replaced the wiper switch and that made no difference.
Armed with the haynes manual, and umpteen hours I have found that the only item left to check is the relay, BUT WHERE THE BL**DY HELL IS IT ??? I checked the fuse box (obvious first choice) and non are listed for the front wiper!! Any idea anyone? if I can find it I can swap it to elliminate it.
Please please someone put me out of my misery, where has uncle porsche hidden the front wiper relay on a 1981 sc 3.0
(crazy)  (crazy)  (crazy)

Posted: Jun 03, 2010 5:23:23 pm
Pete

Does it park itself in more or less the same place every time if you switch it off and let it come to rest?  Was it always like this from the time you bought it?

Posted: Jun 06, 2010 4:35:02 pm
spenner

Hi Pete, the wipers just stop wherever they are  instantly when you switch them off, to get them to park where they should you have to wait until they are about at the bottom and switch them off then. It was like it when I got it, however it really really bugs me. I swapped the wiper switch and that made no difference, as the intermittent switch doesnt work either I took it out and tested it with a meter and it appears to work. So I have had a good look at the wiring diagram and it shows a relay, but I just cant find it to check or swap it.

Posted: Jun 08, 2010 8:56:07 am
Pete

Found it.  The relay is located behind the fresh air blower unit.  Pain the in the arse, but you have to take it out to get to it.  You could try going in though the speedo or rev counter and maybe you can reach through...  Good luck.

Posted: Jun 09, 2010 11:00:33 am
MarkJ

have you cleaned up the contacts and terminal ends of the cables that are in the motor? Thats apparently one of the most common problems for non parking wipers. There are some good posts with pictures over on IB.com if you do a search there.
Sprightly 1134kg and falling.

Posted: Jun 09, 2010 1:06:50 pm
Pete

There are also contacts on the steering column that cause this to happen.  A bit fiddly to get to, so probably best trying the relay (location in my previous post) and then moving on from there.  Also try the motor contacts as Mark suggests.

Posted: Jun 09, 2010 8:45:15 pm
spenner

:agree: Pete you are a star, I would never have found it there. Thanks for the tips as well mark, I have checked the contacts to the motor and the switch as I replaced the switch thinking that was the problem, both are fine. Where on earth did you find the info Pete I have tried all over without success.I will just wait for the rain to stop and I can have a dig behind the dash.

Thanks again fellas
:)  :)

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 7:43:23 am
Pete

Your welcome mate.  Glad we could help!

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 8:19:04 pm
spenner

Well things have been a bit busy, so today I bit the bullet and went relay hunting :sad019: I had the clocks out and no sign of the relay,  (wallbash) so under the bonnet and took off the cover over the heater stuff, no relay  (wallbash)  (wallbash) head under the dash from inside, still no bl**dy relay  (wallbash)
I cant find it for love nor money, has anybody stripped one of these right down and do they know where some twisted german engineer hid the bl**dy wiper relay? :sad019:

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 7:58:31 am
T911UK

Its under the dash somewhere, depends where they put it. Sometimes you can hear it and find it from that, it looks like this BTW;

www.type911shop.co.uk/shop/article_898/911-1974-89-Intermittent-Wiper-Relay.html?shop_param=cid%3D325%26aid%3D898%26

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 8:49:02 pm
spenner

Cheers Bud, its not what I expected it to look like, but now I have a part number and where to get it from too, just need to find the bl**dy thing. Have you replaced one yourself?
I phoned the main dealer in Newcastle today (the nearest and its still 60 mile away) they didnt know about the relay and will get back to me on monday because they haven`t ever changed one so dont know where its hidden.

I think without this forum I would have given up with whole project by now, the shared knowledge is invaluable and as I do all my own work on my 911 I cant tell you how much its appreciated.

So if anyones bored this weekend I suggest a game of find the relay, the winner gets beer on me  (crazy)

And big thanks again chaps  :agree:

Posted: Nov 06, 2010 4:30:32 am
Navi

I don't know if this will help, and I suddenly just notice the date of the last  post

But I found a good write up about wipers

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/440814-electrical-troubleshooting.html

Hope it helps

Cheers, Navi
And I thought it was just about the money?

Posted: Nov 06, 2010 10:01:03 am
Pete

Hi Navi - welcome to te forum and good find on the wipers!

Posted: Nov 11, 2010 12:52:27 pm
spenner

Thanks for the pointer Navi, and yes Pete I still havnt cured it yet, the other week I got the relay from Douglas Valley, its now sat on the kitchen worktop. Due to work and stuff i havnt had the time to have a go at swapping it over, although having read the Pelican info from Navi it looks like it may be the motor all along. If I am off (which isnt often) its always raining and when working outside I dont do rain. Fingers crossed I will have a go this weekend as the mrs is away with friends and I am looking after the kids, so rain permitting I will give it a go.
Update on skinned knuckles, frustration and hypothermia to follow.  :D

Posted: Nov 11, 2010 12:58:07 pm
spenner

Thanks for the pointer Navi, and yes Pete I still havnt cured it yet, the other week I got the relay from Douglas Valley, its now sat on the kitchen worktop. Due to work and stuff i havnt had the time to have a go at swapping it over, although having read the Pelican info from Navi it looks like it may be the motor all along. If I am off (which isnt often) its always raining and when working outside I dont do rain. Fingers crossed I will have a go this weekend as the mrs is away with friends and I am looking after the kids, so rain permitting I will give it a go.

Posted: Nov 11, 2010 12:58:22 pm
spenner

Posted: Nov 12, 2010 12:24:42 pm
Pete

Quote: spenner at Nov 11, 2010 12:58:22 pm

Good luck fella.  Looking forward to the update!

Posted: Nov 12, 2010 4:25:55 pm
spenner

Well I bit the bullet today and had a go, what a pig to get to, the whole air/fan unit had to come out. SAD news though, the relay was fine. I swapped mine with the two spares I got and it made no difference. Looks like a replacement motor then.  :(

Posted: Nov 13, 2010 10:19:12 am
Pete

Quote: spenner at Nov 12, 2010 4:25:55 pm
Well I bit the bullet today and had a go, what a pig to get to, the whole air/fan unit had to come out. SAD news though, the relay was fine. I swapped mine with the two spares I got and it made no difference. Looks like a replacement motor then.  :(

What a bummer mate.  Maybe clean the fan while you in there  :blush:

The wiper motor isnt so bad, but its a bit of a pain in the backside.  You have to take the front air box cover out and the airbox and you have to sit in the front luggage compartment to work on it.....  You need a nice dry dat though.  Not sure when the next one of those is comming along.... :sad019:

Posted: Nov 13, 2010 12:49:28 pm
spenner

Due to the cost of another motor, (£100 2nd hand, delivered from douglas Valley) I will have to wait a while due to a lack of funds. If anyone spots one cheap please let me know, as I would love to fix this. P.S if anyone needs a relay I am showing off I have TWO. I would take the old motor out and do a rebuild but as the car is my daily driver I need it for work every day, so I  am in a position where I need to swap a unit straight over unfortunatly.  :sad019:

Pages (2):1

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums