My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 4:44:06 pm
Pete

What race clothing do you wear on track and why?  Share your experiences here.

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 6:09:07 pm
GaryH

Puma Future Hi-Cat race boots. Didn't realise how much of a difference they made until I forgot them last time out at Snett. Feet were slipping about all over the place in trainers, not a good feeling.

Puma race gloves - as the laps mount up so does the worn skin!
911SC - Slightly modified (1130kg on 1/4 tank lovely Castrol SRF C3 tail - 964 cams 232.1 bhp

Posted: Jan 09, 2009 9:18:20 am
Pete

What are you feeling on crash helmets?  Arai always get a good review.  Is it full face or open?

Posted: Feb 19, 2009 8:27:45 pm
GaryH

Depends what fits yer noggin' mate. That's all that matters. I went to Grand Prix RaceWear in London and tried on all (and I mean 'all' of their full-face models). Bell fitted me best. Wore it in the shop for 10 minutes or so but when I got it home I  found that having it on for longer than 10 minutes caused pressure points on my forehead. Took it back and got one size larger. Perfect. Now fits like a glove. They say you should try it on for at least 15/20 minutes to ensure a good fit.

Mine:

Pricey but very light and you only have one head !

They now do a nice darker blue one (would match your car nicely Pete and has your name on it too :) )

Full-face for me. I've been in a couple of bad (read windscreen/side-window in  :o ) road crashes (not my fault obviously ;)) and wouldn't go open face on track.

ps Why does the forum software remove all the commas ? My posts are starting to look like SEE YAs - lol
911SC - Slightly modified (1130kg on 1/4 tank lovely Castrol SRF C3 tail - 964 cams 232.1 bhp

Posted: Mar 28, 2009 12:07:19 pm
Pete

I have been looking at the Bell ones and will probably end up there.  Also must have a fire resistant banaclava.  Just to be sure.

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 2:12:43 pm
MarkJ

i just wear my bike helmet when i do a trackday, if its good enough for bike falls its probably good enough in a car incident ;)

Open face are more comfy but as others mention, wouldnt want a face full of glass, god forbid.
Sprightly 1134kg and falling.

Posted: Feb 02, 2010 7:59:59 pm
hukent

ALWAYS wear Cotton clothing, if the worst happens, it burns not MELTS to your skin.
Hu.

HAPPINESS IS KNOWING YOU'RE WELSH.

Posted: Mar 02, 2010 11:41:34 pm
Pete

Quote: hukent at Feb 02, 2010 7:59:59 pm
ALWAYS wear Cotton clothing, if the worst happens, it burns not MELTS to your skin.

Good call!

Posted: Mar 04, 2010 9:48:24 am
MarkJ

one thing i bought for when i was using the 964 for touring and/or track days was some OMP trainers. They are shaped like racing boots, ie narrow and alacantra breathable material with proper tread sole that goes up the back of the heel for intensive peddling action. I used them for karting too and they are great trade off between normal trainers and race boots/shoes. They were pretty reasonably priced (about £30-40) off the OMP e-bay shop. Had them 2-3years now and still look like new  :)
Sprightly 1134kg and falling.

Posted: Jan 11, 2012 11:57:07 pm
Hoffman

Minimum.  Helmet fireproof banaclava, elmet and driving shoes.  The rest is jeans and a long sleeve T shirt.

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums